, , , andOnline
This course has been cancelled.
Each session will start at 13:45 and run for two hours.
You will need to complete each session and assignments to progress through the course.
This online course covers the basics of network sniffing. From configuring networking devices to enable sniffing to occur, through to interpreting the output of the Wireshark tool. It will also explore alternative tools that can be used to support network-based investigations.
This course is led by Alec Edworthy from Loughborough University.
- Save time on troubleshooting networking issues
- Practice your skills in a safe environment
- Effectively use free tools
- Continued online support
- Affordable prices
- Share best practice with your peers
- Targeted assignments let you apply your knowledge to your organisation
- No travel, attend from the comfort of your own desk
The course will be delivered over five different days with live online sessions, as well as short offline assignments.
The sessions will involve presentations, audio and interactive chat both as a whole class and in breakout groups.
During the sessions you will have plenty of opportunities for discussions and communication with your peers. We encourage participation and hope that you will feel able to share your experiences and examples of good practice with the group.
The session will be run in Adobe Connect. In order to access the session you will require a web browser running Adobe Flash, and a headset or headphones and a microphone.
Who should attend
The course is at a level that is suitable for those with some previous experience of network sniffing.
Delegates will need a basic working knowledge of Wireshark, a familiarity of the user interface and the ability to undertake the basic analysis of captured traffic.
Delegates who have an advanced knowledge of Wireshark should only view this as a light refresher course.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to;
- Configure network equipment to sniff network traffic
- Capture network traffic using the Wireshark tool
- Describe the output of the Wireshark tool
- Capture network traffic using specific capture filters
- Choose and implement display Wireshark filters
- Diagnose VoIP problems using Wireshark
- Extract data from Wireshark capture files
- Identify network top talkers using Wireshark
- Investigate security incidents using Wireshark
- Perform basic web server load testing with Siege
- Identify suspect DoS activity with tcpdump
- Identify different tools to assist with network fault finding
- Use Wireshark to investigate real world scenarios
- Identify suspect activity using the Wireshark tool
Pricing and eligibility
- Jisc institutional members - £375 + VAT1
- Other organisations - £800 + VAT
We are offering 20% off the full course price. Simply use the code AUTUMN20 when making your booking.
- 1 If, in addition to paying a subscription, your institution has opted to become a Jisc institutional member, then - as part of our VAT-exempt cost sharing group - you will not be charged VAT on your course fee. For more information visit our VAT-exempt cost sharing group page: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/membership/vat-exempt-cost-sharing-group
For more information, email email@example.com or phone 01235 822242.