This course provides a supporting framework for university, college and research staff that provide first line assistance for their organisation’s network infrastructure. The data network infrastructure is now supporting more and more business critical services.
The network is no longer simply for the internet, email and shared drives. It now connects the entire organisation: building management systems (BMS), door controllers, streaming video, guest wireless networks, external partner collaboration, VoIP telephones remote access etc.
The practical focus of this course is the use of a series of activities focusing on the key areas required to support the network. From configuration to diagnostics and a look at new technology, the activities should improve the reporting of incidents and identification of problems.
- Share good practice and learn from others from within academic networking
- Tailored course specifically designed for Janet network-connected organisations
- One year of online support following the course
- High quality materials including case studies, checklist and examples
- Learn from subject matter experts within the Jisc community
- Affordable prices
- All course materials, equipment and labs provided
Registration begins at 09:30 and the course will run between 10:00 and 16:30.
The timetable during the day will be adjusted to allow discussion of areas of particular interest to the audience.
All our courses are designed to provide a balance between practical activities and information dissemination, as we believe people learn when they are engaged within the instructional process.
This course includes participant involvement through hands-on activities, discussion, group work created specifically for the course.
All delegates will receive a full colour workbook, specifically written for the course.
All refreshments and lunch are provided.
Who should attend
This course is is specifically aimed at :
- Service desk/help desk staff
- Immediate response teams
- Residential networking support staff
It will also be of benefit to anyone from an organisation connected to the Janet network who wishes to gain a better understanding of basic networking.
What we cover
- A view of the campus network
- Janet network and associated services
- Basic physical network
- Basic logical network
- Practical support and troubleshooting
- Networking futures
On completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Describe emerging network topics that will impact the campus network
- Identify the many different facets of the modern campus network
- Understand the types of applications running on the network and the specific terminology applied to them
- Apply knowledge of network monitoring to identify anomalies and faults
- Describe the Janet network and the components that form it
- Understand how the Janet network is used and the different types of user it has
- Identify different Jisc services which will be useful to your organisation
- Describe what Ethernet technology is
- Identify different types of Ethernet equipment and describe their purpose
- Apply knowledge of different cables to select the most appropriate for a specific job
- Understand the various elements of TCP/IP and how it is used on campus networks
- Identify core network networks, which are essential to a smooth running network
- Describe basic internet applications and their operation
- Apply knowledge to go through the steps required to get the right information to report an incident
- Describe how to resolve common network problems
- Identify the methods for getting further help and assistance
- Understand the nature of cloud computing
- Describe what IPv6 is
- Identify new technologies and the impact they will have on the network
Pricing and eligibility
- Jisc members - £350 + VAT1
- Other organisations - £500 + VAT
- 1 If, in addition to paying a subscription, your institution has opted to become a Jisc institutional member, then - as part of our VAT-exempt cost sharing group - you will not be charged VAT on your course fee. For more information visit our VAT-exempt cost sharing group page: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/membership/vat-exempt-cost-sharing-group
For more information, email email@example.com or phone 01235 822242.