This position has now been filled. If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jisc is helping to ensure the UK remains at the forefront of innovation within UK education and research – by mobilising the very best people and technologies in the application of digital thinking, digital content and connectivity.
It’s our vision to enable the UK to become the most digitally-advanced education and research nation in the world. It’s a bold statement, but one that we’re determined to fulfil.
About the role
We are now looking for a new senior developer to join our team in Harwell.
As a new member of our team, you would get to develop, maintain and integrate existing and future network monitoring and management systems used to monitor and measure the performance of the Janet Network and its individual systems and components.
Janet is the high-speed network for the UK research and education community provided by Jisc. It serves 18 million users and is the busiest National Research and Education Network (NREN) in Europe by volume of data carried.
Although this role would be mostly office based, we are a flexible company and working from home and flexible hours can be available. This is a job where you can make a real difference.
A degree is useful, however so is experience. We are open to anyone with the skills we are looking for.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A huge wealth of networking experience as well as the ability to code. We don’t mind what language you can code in as long as you are willing to develop your skills and learn other languages, we primarily use Python, PHP, C, C++, Java, Perl
- A solid understanding and experience of IP network technology and infrastructure / strong knowledge of TCP/IP protocols / understanding of traffic engineering methodology
You will primarily be dealing with information from routers/switches and optical chassis, not servers.
We would like an innovative personality, who likes to share ideas, be a part of a team and work hard to help our 18 million users keep learning!
- 28 days annual leave (including three closure days at Christmas) plus eight bank holidays
- Our generous USS contributory pension scheme (8% employee and 18% employer contribution) is a valuable part of our reward package
- Competitive maternity, adoption and paternity arrangements
- Death-in-service benefit of three times salary
- Several staff schemes including season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, eye care, employee assistance
- Opportunity for performance-related pay progression
- IT discounts with selected suppliers
This role will be based in Harwell, although Manchester is an option.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK with occasional overnight stays will be required.
How to apply
Apply today by sending your CV to email@example.com and we’ll come back to you with some further details.
Appointment will be made subject to receipt of satisfactory references and confirmation of right to work.
No agencies please.
This job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. So, if you are interested, please apply for this vacancy as soon as you can.
Jisc is committed to quality, equality and diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the population.