This position has now been filled. If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.
Why we are looking
Jisc is building a portfolio of cloud products and professional services, to assist our customers within the education and research sectors achieve their strategic initiatives around cloud.
Supporting delivery of these initiatives, Jisc is establishing a cloud consulting service as part of an already established Jisc consultancy service and cloud group who manage delivery of solutions, provide advice and customer engagements.
Higher and further education organisations are under increasing pressure. Institutions need to improve performance and to compete on the world stage, while reducing costs and increasing efficiency. Moving services to the cloud can help institutions drive down cost and increase performance.
What we are looking for in you
You will help our customers accelerate their journey to the cloud and transform their IT. You will be expected to work with customers to perform cloud readiness assessments, select the right platforms, and define a cloud strategy and roadmap for transformation and growth. You will also help assess their business and it drivers that inform their cloud readiness.
The post-holder will be expected to be capable of being hands on and build cloud solutions, plus advise on the migration of legacy systems to cloud platforms. Therefore, the cloud solution consultant will require a high level of technical competency and experience in advising, designing and building IaaS, PaaS and SaaS solutions across a range of cloud providers such as: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud platform, original cloud providers, hybrid public/private cloud, and cloud management platforms.
The role will require traveling to customer locations within the UK: mainly universities, further education colleges, plus research institutes; to provide consultancy and deliver the solutions. Engagements will range from a single day; to more extended engagements, with periodic revisits to the customer following initial engagement. The consultants will be expected to help grow the consultancy business, be commercially aware; identifying opportunities and develop engagement s into business opportunities.
- A history of successful technical consulting and architecture engagements with large-scale customers or enterprises including experience of migrating or transforming legacy customer solutions to the cloud
- Professional experience of architecting and implementing solutions built on Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud platforms
- Experience of re-architecting web enterprise applications to run within PaaS environments
- Experience of deploying enterprise operating systems to IaaS platforms including: Windows and Linux and knowledge of key technology stacks, such as Azure, Amazon Web Services and Docker
Skills and responsibilities
- Cloud strategic consulting and advice, and hands-on delivery of architecture design and implementation of cloud services
- Strategic risks and benefits of cloud migration
- Disruptive cloud technologies that may provide a competitive advantage
- Gap, swot, value chain, organisational impact analysis, and other tools
- Industry insights into direction that other organisations are taking
- Technical skills for the architecture, design and implementation of multiple services or single services using leading cloud technologies and platforms
- Customer relationship management
- Communicate, influence and work with stakeholders and executives both inside and outside of Jisc to ensure the broadest understanding of the cloud services and contribute to the formulation of the Jisc cloud services strategy
- Strong understanding of the relative benefit and application of IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, hybrid cloud, edge cloud, co-location solutions; and how to select the appropriate solution based on customer requirement
- Scripting skills for cloud infrastructure deployment and administration, plus skills with building, deploying and administrating cloud infrastructure through web portals
- Strong written communication skills
- Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- High levels of personal motivation, problem solving and persuasion
- 28 days annual leave (including three closure days at Christmas) plus eight bank holidays
- Our generous USS contributory pension scheme (8% employee and 18% employer contribution) is a valuable part of our reward package
- Competitive maternity, adoption and paternity arrangements
- Several staff schemes including season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, eye care, employee assistance
- Opportunity for performance-related pay progression
- IT discounts with selected suppliers
The roles can be based at either our Harwell or Bristol offices, with the expectation that home working is permitted, and that travel to customer sites throughout the UK will form a major part of the delivery of the service.
How to apply
Apply today by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll come back to you with some further details.
No agencies please.
Appointment will be made subject to receipt of satisfactory references and confirmation of right to work.
This job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. So, if you are interested, please apply for this vacancy as soon as you can.
Jisc is committed to quality, equality and diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the population.