Helping you meet your duty of care to learners. Part of our consultancy service.
As an educational organisation in further or higher education, you want to create a safe online environment in which people can study and work – in order to safeguard users, meet legal requirements such as Prevent, and protect your reputation.
But not all organisations are the same – and the specific approach you take can vary depending on the needs of your users.
To help you navigate these issues, we provide a bespoke consultancy service on online safety.
How our consultancy service benefits you
Because this is a tailored service, our main goal is to understand your specific needs as an organisation – and help you meet them as best we can.
Depending on your needs, we can help you to:
Develop your online safety strategy
- Provide the advice and guidance to help you as you develop clear policies, systems and reporting mechanisms on online safety and your Prevent obligations. To help in this process, we can review your existing policies, acting in the role of ‘critical friend’.
- Use a Jisc-defined template to help you identify online safety needs across your organisation. Our ‘online safety needs’ report highlights good practice and shows where you can improve.
Provide strategic advice on web filtering and monitoring
We can provide advice and guidance on strategic approaches to web filtering and monitoring.
Our support ranges from helping you reassure stakeholders of the benefits of web filtering, to finding the most suitable strategy to meet your needs.
The Jisc-procured web filtering and monitoring framework, meanwhile, gives you access to a broad range of filtering and monitoring solutions to assist you with your safeguarding strategy.
How this service works
This consultancy service is divided into two parts: the practical advice and support which you get as an inclusive benefit from your Jisc membership; and additional paid-for services for organisations who need further support.
Included in your membership
As part of your Jisc membership, we’ll get you started in the right direction, focusing on an informed and impartial diagnosis of your current situation to help you benchmark your current position and identify key issues to address.
We can also offer a range of additional, paid-for services over and above your membership. These may include working with you as a ‘critical friend’, offering project support, or offering workshops tailored to your needs.
We also offer a range of related services that can complement your online safety strategy. These include:
We run workshops and online courses on the following topics:
- Workshop to Raise Awareness of Prevent (WRAP) – a free, government-designed workshop to introduce you to the Prevent strategy
- Filtering and monitoring: how can they help? – an online course
- Information security policies – a live online course
For more information, visit the training pages.
We can also offer bespoke training on a range of themes:
- Presenting a ‘positive digital identity’
- Making the most of social media for teaching and learning
- ‘Train the trainer’ workshops to help you provide your own online safety training
In addition, we can advise on steps to take to raise awareness of online safety among learners.
Simulated phishing and associated training
Our simulated phishing service, delivered by Khipu Networks, helps you reduce the risks of phishing and related attacks – by giving users the skills and awareness to spot threats.